Tuesday, July 23, 2013

be brave

In these uncertain times it is easy to miss that which is crucial. Which has the ability to alter paths, which washes away barriers and borders. In these unpredictably cruel times it is by default that we cannot see that which at all other times is clearly visible. Wrapped in smoky haze we wander through our journeys dizzied from the maze. Glasses fogged up, minds boggled with confusion. We trace our steps back, stare straight ahead, hold our hopes high in front, throw our regrets far behind the road we have already travelled. The soul seldom settles, the cries of the lonely spirit echoes, pierces the heart. It is in this wondrous state that we understand how a warring, broken, elated spirit cannot ever be silenced. The words will ring loud, the thumping will break mountains in two. The notes will travel across the universe. The tears will fill reservoirs and set sail the sleepy little boats resting on unsuspecting shores. These messengers will harbour a voyage unparalleled. I am a star, waiting with a heavy anchor for a boat to reach the skies. I cannot tell where the horizon ends, I can only hear the nearing, the distinct ruffle of the sails latching onto the playful winds. I must ready myself, rust off the chains of my anchor. Pray in solitude that on the boat I await there is going to be a kind soul with a beautiful heart.

Instead mostly I fear, grow weary of the traps that lie ahead. Fear time and all of its malevolence. Fear the inevitable end and the prolonged suffering. Shudder at the thought of ridicule, grow anger into lifeless boulders that uncontrollably roll down steep hills of frustration. The wait is never kind, it is mostly solemn and flows in circles of inconsolable sadness. The world slowly catches fire, burns until there are souls who can feed it with their exceptional wisdom and grace. I see them leave one after the other. I see only darkness, anticipating the arrival of hope on wings that are neither visible, nor audible. I am a star, unable to move. There are times when I can alter fate with just one thought, one better deed than the one before. There are times when the cruelty in others does not scare me, when I can shout loud enough for the rest to hear. There are times when I lean so low that I can see my reflection in the water. Were I to touch it, all of the dust would cover the waves that rush to rub the shore. But I am unmoved, fitted just right, patient in my statuesque mission. I see a war around me, I see millions of lights that are lit then flicker, after much debate die to alight again. I cannot hold you back, cannot call on you to hurry faster. You take your sweet time and the world may disappear before you get to me. So here I am, fearful of time, doubtful if I will ever persevere, joyful in the hope that I may too be once noticed. I am a star with a heavy anchor, sometimes lost, sometimes adamant in being a part of an important constellation. I pull the tide closer, I guide the blinded souls home, I chase the sun and forge an alliance with the moon. Soon I will hear you, you will call out my name while I cry with tears of joy, whimper as I sail towards the horizon.

No comments: