Sunday, May 06, 2012

and as for winter, it is only may

There is no stopping. There is no stopping the momentous river, the forceful flow, the speed at which the body of water rushes from high to low. Latitude, constellations, the pull of the moon, these things are in charge. The piercing sound, the noise of the robust river emptying its filth onto its own bed keep the wandering mind at base. The sight makes you uncomfortable, the sound pains your frail ears. The fish jump in desperation high into the air, gasping, trying to defy the laws of physics, biology, chemistry. Through guilds of glittering silver they fall to their fate, carried at speed to their new resting place. The land devastated, this is what is left behind.  

How things have changed, you whisper. There is no more love in your heart. The landscape of the soul echoes that of an aftermath, a horrific disaster. Every nook, every hill, every man made tower of success wiped flat in a fraction of a second. I blinked, you destroyed. This barren sight bears your name, this is your prize. My esteemed friend, regret, never fails to show in time of need. The other friends we once shared now pick sides. I am captain, you are captain. The river we navigate is untamed, unruly, flows through curtains of gallows, there is no chance to escape. Only maybe to the moon.

You forfeit grace when I shout - do not! But you do, and walk away. Oh how those whispers haunt, how your sudden eruption exploded in my peaceful heart. I try to ease the qualm, but sadness drapes its endless weight over me. I wait for resolution, for a higher power to take me. Pray for time to heal.

Here is how peace descends. How silence takes over once more. Everything comes to a slow halt, turns back to how it was before the boisterous interruption. The river retreats.  My heart may survive, may grow back the parts that have been badly damaged. May learn to grow more beautiful parts that will take flight, search the world and land with someone new. I may learn to believe in days that will not be so blue. May even stop wishing for winter in this early May.

No comments: