Thursday, November 28, 2013

Elysium

We are sailors swept by the deep currents. We are sailors approaching the endless shore. We are drifters from another time, hoping to find solid ground. We are owners of treasures, we have pride in abundance. We roam armed with all we know, carrying such delight, darkness that no moon could alight. The wind sets our sails, the frantic compass tries to catch the direction, but we sail to east from west, from south to north. The poles pull us closer, push us further from where we hoped we would be. Our ship skips the surface of these waves, soon we may catch a glimpse of the land we might moor in tonight.  

As I watched you saunter through the thick sand of the changing tide, the sun only shined on you. It was the morning, almost an unnoticed start to the one of many summer days. The distance echoed your words of longing, played mischievously on the surface of the water in colours indescribable. There were bright whites and even brighter yellows. The sun bothered your eyes so you looked far out at sea to try to find the source, those missing boats. Sharp whistling and you turned, away from the water, towards the day. You then shook the excess. Filled with joy for another chance to watch the sun slowly rise and magnificently set. Barefoot you ran after the others, ran to catch the reluctant waves as they licked your toes, feet then ankles. The cold water made you jump and with almost child-like laughter you ran with all your might, away from the tide. It made you remember. It made you remember the days you thought you had already forgot. The lakes and pretty fishes, the breath of summer morning, the coffee on the porch steaming. Stretch out your arms and breathe this moment in. Fill your lungs with the memory of the ocean sweat, the salty mist, the velvet grass of your childhood standing barefoot at the water’s edge. I wish I had known you then.  

The rooftops told stories of friendship, stories of human hearts meeting to never break the bond. We taught each other the gift of laughter and forgiveness. We offered ourselves, entirely. I could see in their eyes, the pride. I could see how they have learnt to never bend, straight and just, unblemished souls, unafraid of the vastness of the ocean. I know they will never bend. I know they would only bend for you. Our secret words flew high above the buildings, chased each other down the streets, were caught by the deep darkness of the silent ocean. In all we shared there was no flaw, there was nothing to want, the moment filled every hope, all expectations. We dreamed of endless days, sunlight to kiss our golden locks. We dreamed of great winds to blow our sails, anchors to keep us grounded, afloat in one place, moving only seemingly. We dreamed of circles, paths that would always lead us back to each other.  

I am often lost, often find doubt, often wish for a shore all to myself. I often burn from the want, often hide to shelter my most secret parts. I fall each time I try to move through unknown lands. How about you? The mighty sea draws me close, wraps its balmy self around me. Safe in its hands I float on the surface of this board. Waiting then falling. Waiting then flying. Tossed underwater to gasp for air, for a hand to hold. Then lifted high above the impenetrable matter, sailing outwards, hurrying towards the shore. I often am lost, find myself fallen to the ground. The kind sand holds my feet warm, the restless ocean waits until I am safely on the shore.  

We meet on those shores. We meet after our battles with the majestic waves. You hold us together, help our weary bodies find their way back home. I have never felt so safe. Then you tell us in pictures, recount the individual battles. Some lost, some miraculously won. You collect our souls and steer them towards warmth and hope. 

No comments: