Wednesday, October 07, 2009

One of the last days of careless summer

How I wondered, walking slowly down your streets, how long your glorious buildings would stand the mischievous sunshine. How long would you let the hopeful summer hearts roam the avenues in search of their missing halves. Would there ever be an end to the silent scorching afternoons that have graced many a days since the snows disappeared. Can I hope for your lifeline to send vaporised, misty messages into the sky. To have the bones of your ribs bend over the fumes of the autumn escaping. White lies cover the cobbles and in the spirit of change hurriedly sail to the Black Sea, forever away.

Please, do not mention winter. It is too soon. The memories burn in my brain and the ice hurts as it forms close to my heart. The poisonous air then stays trapped between the crooked and lean chimneys, between the bricks of centuries past. Then I am helpless. Then you become more bare and beautiful than any other time I have ever seen you. Stripped to the core I can turn to you and with honesty’s bare bones visible, we know that whatever is said then, stays forever imprinted, unchanged. Until the ill-formed ideas of spring, the somewhat childish enthusiasm of the first snowdrops come to erase the months before and turn our flittering hearts towards the tickling, weak, barely visible first rays of the sun.

For now I can smell the change. The bitter twist in your filthy air. Now it wraps itself around me, now it escapes every touch. It is distinct and unique. I can tell, it will be a beautiful winter. My silence will fill the piercing echoes you send through every vessel that states your dominance. Everything around you will heed and still you will not allow kindness to break the armour. There is no heart – the cry will come. I will defend your actions and your hurtful ways. I will show them that just because the storm has covered every glimpse of gentleness, you are still who you were on those lovely spring mornings.

The questions become answers. The wait becomes the natural way of life. The course that our lives take together becomes the only real thing you and I know. I fear for the day when we will have to part ways. I fear for my heart in your autumn streets. I fear for my soul on the frozen back of your river. I fear for my life amidst the careless flowers of your spring awakening. I fear summer the most, for it ends the quickest.

I stay faithfully yours, bound in deep love and painful chains.

No comments: