Saturday, May 26, 2007

Once there was an emotion

There was an emotion that started all this. Maybe a long time ago, I can’t quite recall, or maybe just a few moments ago. I forget to make note, I just know there was a feeling of wanting more out of life that lead me to words. I know that I wanted to see the dark and the light, the ugly and the shining, the dirty and the clear of this life. If there was something graspable, something that I knew I wanted to hang onto, then that’s the emotion that has lead me here. Because there is so much crap, too much crap all around. We kick the empty can on the street and have become too accustomed to the derelict sights of the inner cities to ever notice the gap that is coming between us.

When nobody cares is when all things fall apart. When those who could make a change choose to live for the now is when small things show cracks in the ceiling. When I feel I have become powerless and indifferent by the challenges of this world is when I feel I need to remind myself of the most essential emotion that lead me to begin writing all those years ago. Because once the words had found me, I could only succumb. Their power, much greater than the power I can ever comprehend. And the Truth sometimes surfaces in the most hidden lines of my writing, without me knowing, surprising the unsuspecting reader with a phrase that will stick and will haunt until it has the power.

On a hot day I will sit with my skin bare, listening to the simplest magic of a few words and a few musical notes and I will be inspired to cut through the fog and haze and reach deep down for that hidden emotion that started everything. As long as I can find that and through that justify what it means to be a writer without anything to write or a lover without anyone to love, then I can safely create that dream without anyone ever knowing the truth.

Let’s take a bow together and vow that from now on the emotion that has kept us captive will continue to inspire, on even the dullest and most hopeless of days.

No comments: